Different treatment of "no SSL support on server side" in FTP and SMTP

From: Gokhan Sengun <gokhansengun_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 23:10:24 +0200

hi,

It looks from the code that when SMTP server does not support SSL/TLS and
sends a 5xx reply, libcurl responds its caller with CURLE_LOGIN_DENIED.
When it comes to FTP server case, getting a negative response to AUTH
command, libcurl is giving the error CURLE_USE_SSL_FAILED.

I think CURLE_USE_SSL_FAILED expresses the situation better, because it has
almost nothing to do with the login (authentication) except maybe implicit
SSL case because if server would support SSL then login could succeed.

My suggestion would be to use FTP's treatment for SMTP (the one I am
interested) and maybe for other modules (IMAP and POP3) to be truly
consistent.

I can not imagine however how backward compability with existing codes
would be accomplished.

Thanks.

--
it is twice as difficult to debug a program as to write it. Therefore, if
you put all of your creativity and effort into writing the program, you are