Re: Undefined macros in curl/curl.h

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 20:01:40 -0800

On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 07:39:00PM -0600, Alex Vinnik wrote:
> Just tried to compile ruby binding (curb) to latest libcurl from bagder/curl
> and got these compilation error
>
> cc -I. -I. -I/home/alex/.rvm/rubies/jruby-1.6.2/lib/native/include/ruby -I.
> -DRUBY_EXTCONF_H=\"curb_config.h\"        -fPIC  -fno-omit-frame-pointer
> -fno-strict-aliasing  -fexceptions   -I/usr/local/include -g -Wall  -m64 -c
> curb_errors.c
> curb_errors.c: In function rb_curl_easy_error :
> curb_errors.c:169: error: CURLE_OBSOLETE10 undeclared (first use in this
> function)
> curb_errors.c:169: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> curb_errors.c:169: error: for each function it appears in.)
> curb_errors.c:175: error: CURLE_OBSOLETE12 undeclared (first use in this
> function)
> make: *** [curb_errors.o] Error 1

You didn't include the source code lines causing these errors, but searching
for the code brought me to a likely source. It seems that the code in
question is using CURLE_FTP_USER_PASSWORD_INCORRECT and
CURLE_FTP_WEIRD_USER_REPLY. These defines haven't served any meaning in
years--since the year 2006 in the first case--there is no point in looking
for them. They've only be kept around to give source like this time to
migrate. They've been scheduled for removal (as documented in the header
file) for three years, and the error codes they used to refer to were
replaced a few weeks ago by other errors.

Compiling with the macro CURL_NO_OLDIES set will cause these and other
obsolete definitions to invoke a compile error so they can be removed
by the developer before problems like this occur.

>>> Dan