Re: http_proxy and https_proxy

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 23:42:02 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012, Clemens Buchacher wrote:

> I was struggling a few hours to get my http proxy to work with git, which
> uses libcurl. My mistake was that I had set only the http_proxy env
> variable, but I was trying to clone an https:// url.
>
> I think this is an easy mistake, and in my experience an http proxy server
> is also an https proxy server.

Well, yes, but the name of the environment variable is for the protocol the
given URL is using not the protocol that is used to communicate with the
proxy!

> Would you accept a patch to make curl fall back to http_proxy if neither
> https_proxy nor all_proxy are set? Or do you think this should be handled by
> git? Or not at all?

curl has supported these environment variables almost from the start and this
is the first time I read your suggestion. To me that is a small hint that
perhaps this issue isn't that big and might be better off left as-is...

But I'm open to listen to what others have to say!