Re: http_proxy and https_proxy

From: Johannes Bauer <Jb.Imm_at_gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 15:38:21 +0100

On 31.01.2012 23:42, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

>> Would you accept a patch to make curl fall back to http_proxy if
>> neither https_proxy nor all_proxy are set? Or do you think this should
>> be handled by git? Or not at all?
[...]
> But I'm open to listen to what others have to say!

Please don't include this.

The rationale is as follows: interpretation of command-line parameters
is confusing enough in Unixoid environments already. There are
applications that use various spellings of the common proxy environment
variables (with underscore and without, all uppercase or all lowercase).
Precedence of these variable if in conflict (i.e. what if ALL_PROXY and
http_proxy is set at the same time? What if socks_proxy is also set?)
also differs over applications, which makes matters worse.

To sum it all up and to reiterate my point: Envrionment variables to
change proxy settings are confusing enough already without yet another
special set of exceptions and/or rules. Please keep the KISS principle
in mind.

All the best,
Joe