Re: Avoid copying data in CURLOPT_WRITEFUNCTION callback

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 11:08:49 +0100

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 10:36:04AM +0100, Konstantin Miller wrote:
> Is there any way to avoid copying data between the buffer that is passed to the
> callback function, which is set with CURLOPT_WRITEFUNCTION, and my own buffer?
> Can I tell libcurl that I would like to reuse its buffer and that I will free
> it myself later on? Or, even better, that I will give it back to libcurl once
> I'm done with it?

A zero-copy interface was on the to-do list (literally) for a long
time:

  1.1 Zero-copy interface

  Introduce another callback interface for upload/download that makes one less
  copy of data and thus a faster operation.
  [http://curl.haxx.se/dev/no_copy_callbacks.txt]

It was removed from the list a few months ago, presumably due to lack of
interest.

>>> Dan