Re(2): Building for Windows and Unix from same source tree?

From: Ellié Computing Open Source Program <opensource_at_elliecomputing.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 12:47:41 +0100

From: Daniel Stenberg
>On Thu, 22 Mar 2012, Elli? Computing Open Source Program wrote:
>
>>> It is not supported. Use different source trees when building for
>>> different platforms.
>
>> to be honest, I don't really care if it _was_ not supported. it should.
>> any
>> decent library can do that, in fact, all the libraries I know of except
>> toy
>> libraries can do that.
>
>Then finally we have a toy library! Awesome. And to be honest, I do play a
>fair bit with libcurl so that might be a fitting description!
rraah, what I meant is that targeting or ignoring the impossibility to
simply run ./configure in the folder of the source and use the VC project at
the same time seems to beat any "one source many builds" logic, isn't it?

>> and in addition, it used to support it. I don't believe regression is a
>> must
>> have.
>
>Perhaps it used to, but that must've been a pretty good while ago, isn't
>it?
7.15

>These things mentioned that are in the way are in no way any recent
>changes.
I don't know.

>> I'm ready to propose patches and so on, including makefiles, .BATs... Is
>> the
>> way I proposed OK? (adding a include/curl folder in a winbuild and
>> copying
>> the curlbuild.h.dist there rather than polluting the main tree?)
>
>I'm not sure I understand. Are you suggesting the "winbuild" is performed
>in a
>separate directory that isn't within the source tree? Will that really fly
>with VC project files and both versions of makefiles we have? Or did I
>misunderstand?
the problem comes simply that ./configure does not want to run once the
curlbuild.h.dist was copied to curlbuild.h (this is correct as there may be
inconsistencies depending on -I order then). I'd just like to copy it
elsewhere inside the winbuild directory (e.g.
winbuild/include/curl/curlbuild.h would be OK), as it already exists and
once placed there curlbuild.h for Windows build would not prevent
./configure from working. It would just costs us one mkdir, a -I flag, and
in the VC project just one include directory to add.

Regards
Armel