RE: RE(2): Re(2): Building for Windows and Unix from same source tree?

From: Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 12:38:03 +0000

Hiya,

> > I have VC++ project files for VC7.1, VC8, VC9 and VC10 that work
> > perfectly for building both libcurl and curl from the existing source
> > tree and would prefer to work with a common structure rather
> > than a winbuild variant.
> >
> > Is it possible to fix the makefile build without additional files under
> > the winbuild directory?
>
> don't be afraid what I'm talking about would definitely be trivial and
> VC++ would be happy as well.

Don't get me wrong I'm sure it is a trivial change and I'm very sure VC++
will be happy with an additional include path but not everyone here (again
myself included) uses the VC6 project file that is included in Curl. I have
to maintain my own project files as it is a real pain to import this vc6
project file into newer versions of Visual Studio and then add 64-bit
support each and every time a new release of curl comes out - especially as
vc6 doesn't support 64-bit builds.

As I mentioned above I have 4 versions of VC++ to support including 32-bit
and 64-bit builds as well as build variants that include:

* Libcurl as a DLL (no extras)
* Libcurl as a DLL with dynamic linking to OpenSSL
* Libcurl as a DLL with dynamic linking to Windows SSPI
* Libcurl statically linked (with no extras)
* Static linking to both Libcurl and OpenSSL
* Static linking to Libcurl with dynamic linking to OpenSSL
* Static linking to Libcurl with dynamic linking Window SSPI

Adding an include path as you say is relatively simple but having to test
all those build variants (4 projects files multiplied by 7 build variants
multiplied by 2 for 32-bit and 64-bit in VC8, 9 and 10 and then multiplied
by 2 for debug and release is 98 builds - I hope I've my maths right
there!!!) which is a real pain :-/

Other people here also link to SSH and other libraries so might have more
variants than me.

Whilst it seems a trivial change it can have a huge knock on effect.

If it is deemed that the file copy must happen in the batch file in order to
fix the Windows makefile build then I think it should only effect the
makefile build and not the VC project file. However, I think Daniel's point
about it working a long time ago would imply that it should be possible to
fix the build without this extra step - hopefully ;-)

Kind Regards

Steve