RE: Specifing authentication types in SMTP

From: Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 12:06:45 +0100

Hi Patrick,

> > 1) Use CURLOPT_HTTPAUTH (so --anyauth, --ntlm, etc. will work)
> > 2) Introduce a new option CURLOPT_SMTPAUTH
>
> A third solution would be to have a callback for mechanism
> selection, with the server-provided available mechanisms in
> parameter.

Mmmm... An interesting idea Patrick - cheers.

Like you say the callback would tell the program what mechanisms are
available and accept a parameter back that tells it what mechanism to use.
Alternatively it could take a list of mechanisms rather than a bitwise long
so we could overload the preferred order as well (Something else that I've
been wanting to do).

So for example the server tell us:

250-AUTH GSSAPI NTLM LOGIN

But I may want to say use: NTLM, then GSSAPI then LOGIN ;-)

Cheers

Steve