Re: [bagder/curl] 2976de: sspi: Added version information

From: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 14:50:40 +0200

Just a heads up with this commit 2976de48 and subsequent ones...

> Added version information for Windows SSPI to curl's main version
> string and removed SSPI from the features string.

Please notice that, even when inexact, existing situation in curl's
code base up to that commit was that USE_WINDOWS_SSPI actually meant
USE_WINDOWS_SSO and that the SSPI feature actually meant SSO.

For that reason, feature SSPI was a feature and had no version, it
actually represented SSO 'single sign on' capability.

This has been something we have been carrying over the years without
anyone bothering to fix the situation, all of this due to the fact
that at some point in the past SSPI for Microsoft represented 'single
signing point infraestructure' or similar and in recent times it
actually represents 'Security Support Provider Interface'.

Notice that what curl has been calling SSPI is implemented in the code
base using different crypto libraries and code paths. Now that the
modern SSPI interpretation seems to be necesary we should fix existing
situation before pushing in the new SSPI stuff or we are going to
break builds quite badly.

Additionally it is very likely that currently at some point
USE_WINDOWS_SSPI is misused.

So I would suggest that before going any further with the SSPI stuff
we do the following...

1) Revert 2976de48 and subsequent related commits. And...
2) Rename USE_WINDOWS_SSPI to USE_WINDOWS_SSO. And...
3) Rename feature SSPI to SSO. And...
4) Verify if usage of USE_WINDOWS_SSO seems appropriate wherever it is used.

--
-=[Yang]=-