Re: Problem with GnuTLS libcurl and HTTPS over NTLM-auth'd HTTP proxy (and git)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 23:25:58 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 12 May 2012, Alessandro Ghedini wrote:

> from Debian bug #671827:

> This happens with the GnuTLS "flavour" of libcurl 7.25.0 (full log at [0])
> but not 7.21.0 (full log at [1]). Also, it doesn't happen when using curl,
> but only with git.

There's at least one notable difference between those two cases. git uses
libcurl's multi interface while curl uses libcurl's easy interface. There are
many different code paths internally that could explain such a difference.

Also note that NTLM is supported fine with GnuTLS builds since 7.19.4 it was
just a bug in the documentation saying it wasn't - one that I've now fixed.

> Note that I wasn't able to reproduce it with a simple proxy configuration,
> but since I do not have any NTLM-configured system (nor experience in
> configuring one) it was without authentication.

I don't have any either. I can only ever verify NTLM with the test suite, and
AFAIK it still works for gnutls builds. I would assume that this problem
requires that someone who can repeat the problem actually tries to debug the
problem at source level...

> Now, this might be a git bug, but what's weird is that it appears to have
> worked with an older version of libcurl.

Regressions are unfortunately not that rare in general and NTLM is a scary
beast in particular.

> Can you reproduce this? If so, do you know of any change that may have
> caused this

It would help with a bisect that identifies the exact change that broke it.
There are almost two years of development between those two versions.