RE: POP3 Authentication

From: Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 18:14:28 +0100

Hi all,

On Sat, 2 Jun 2012, Steve Holme wrote:

> I have added support for the AUTH command and for PLAIN, LOGIN and NTLM
> mechanisms - I think would also be worthwhile adding support for
> DIGEST-MD and CRAM-MD5 as we have in SMTP - so I guess you could say I'm
> just over half way through ;-)

Just a little update...

I have successfully installed the free 3 user edition of WinGate to test
CRAM-MD5 and LOGIN on POP3 and both appear to work well.

I don't have access to a server that supports DIGEST-MD5 but Gokhan Sengun
has offered to help out here as he does ;-)

Unfortunately, we've found a server that doesn't support the AUTH command on
its own to find out what mechanism's it supports - Instead it only supports
AUTH <mechanism> in order to choose the SASL based authentication mechanism
:(

I have developed an update to use the CAPA command - as it seems this is the
only reliable way to detect a server's supported SASL mechanisms - I will
push an update in a little while.

Kind Regards

Steve