RE: POP3 Authentication

From: Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 22:49:48 +0100

Hi guys,

On Mon, 4 Jun 2012, Steve Holme wrote:

> > I have added support for the AUTH command and for PLAIN, LOGIN and
> > NTLM mechanisms - I think would also be worthwhile adding support for
> > DIGEST-MD and CRAM-MD5 as we have in SMTP - so I guess you could
> > say I'm just over half way through ;-)
>
> Just a little update...
>
> I have successfully installed the free 3 user edition of WinGate to test
> CRAM-MD5 and LOGIN on POP3 and both appear to work well.
>
> I don't have access to a server that supports DIGEST-MD5 but Gokhan
> Sengun has offered to help out here as he does ;-)

Gokhan has been able to successfully test my DIGEST-MD5 SASL and POP3
changes (Thank you) - one small modification was required as the service
type was hardcoded in the create message function so we have extrapolated
that out and it is now passed in as a parameter to the function. As such we
have successfully tested the following mechanisms post move from smtp.c:

Mechanism Server Software
PLAIN Exchange Server 2010 and WinGate
LOGIN WinGate
CRAM-MD5 WinGate and Axigen
DIGEST-MD5 Axigen
NTLM Exchange Server 2010 and WinGate

I have just pushed some tidy up changes and fixes to line lengths etc,
etc... in curl_sasl.c and pop3.c[h]

I am aware that there is still some to do in smtp.c which I hope to address
tomorrow. One odd thing that I did notice about both smtp.c and pop3.c is
that strtoofft.h is included twice - does anyone know if there a reason for
this?

If anyone has any comments, suggestions or ways to improve the code then
please feel free to let me know.

Once I have pushed the tidy up changes to smtp then I hope to move on to
adding APOP authentication support to POP3 ;-)

Cheers

S.