Re: after 7.26.0

From: Marc Hoersken <info_at_marc-hoersken.de>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 13:58:26 +0200

2012/6/7 Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>:
> Hi Marc,
>
> On Thu, 7 Jun 2012, Marc Hoersken wrote:
>
>> > I'm fine with merging the current work, assuming it doesn't break any
>> > existing functionality and that no objections are raised by others!
>> >
>> > It makes it easier for more people to collaborate on improve the code.
>>
>> That's a good idea, but what about the general SSPI restructuring that people asked for first?
>
> Given the argument you presented in your email of the 13th May and lack of input from anyone but Daniel and I, I'm in favour of what you said...
>
> I don't believe there is a need to introduce the proposed USE_WINDOWS_SSO define, instead using the existing USE_WINDOWS_SSPI define for the library/provider code as, like you said, it is really an alternative crypto API and not another feature.

It's great that we are on the same page here. So this is not a
showstopper anymore.

> You will observe from my latest changes to the repository that the NTLM code that was in smtp.c is now in curl_sasl.c as it is also used by POP3.
>
> It is also worth noting that I am hoping to add GSSAPI (Kerberos) support to SMTP and POP3, as well as adding SASL authentication to IMAP but none of this will be until after the 7.27.0 release.

Nice, that means we have a general strategy on putting general/shared
code in separate curl_*.[ch] files and use those from different
places.

>> And for version information my patch still depends on version.lib, which was discussed earlier.
>
> Whilst my version patches were reverted, I still stand by them - I appreciate there were a few problems (makefiles etc...) due to me cobbling them together in a bit of a hurry but I don't have any issue with the extra dependency on version.lib [dll] as it exists on all modern versions of Windows. I can't recall when version.dll was introduced but is there a need to support pre Windows 2000 for example?

I also do not see a problem here. MSDN says that version.lib and
version.dll are available sine Windows 2000 Professional and Windows
2000 Server.

Question is: Do you want me to merge your version information code
into my Schannel patch or do we want to merge my patch first and then
apply your changes to it?

Best regards,
Marc