Re: Porting libcurl on Android with SSL Support

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 21:07:58 +0200

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 11:39:00AM +0200, Tancho . wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 3:34 AM, Guenter <lists_at_gknw.net> wrote:
> there might be cases where you need such a makefile - different folks have
> different needs;
> unless Dan agrees it should be removed I think we keep it;
> and for those who're hasty and dont read ./docs/INSTALL to get informed of
> another possible way to go once they see an Android.mk in the root we can
> explicitely point to ./docs/INSTALL at the top of the makefile; wouldnt
> that help?
>
> I personally think that it's misleading, since  it's close to impossible to
> compile using it. so maybe removing it is a bit too radical, but there should
> be a warning against it (or something) .

That may be true for the standalone toolchain, but there's more than
one way to compile for Android. Have you ever tried compiling against
the NDK or from the full source release? You need an Android.mk when you
do that. Unfortunately, I no longer do Android development so I can't
keep it up to date, but it worked fine for me up to a few months ago. I
think it's a great idea to point users to the INSTALL file from within
Android.mk for a more detailed discussion of the Android options.

>>> Dan