Re: Library version.

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 23:05:12 +0200

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 11:24:01PM +0300, Slav wrote:
> Hmm, that's really so. I was ascerting that new (1.26) curl is successfully
> installed by removing all curl.so files from filesystem and after installation
> new curl.so appeared and compilation command is `g++ ./main.cpp -L/usr/local/
> lib -lcurl -o test`.
> Why does system builds against some *.so.4 files?

What the system builds your curl against and what it runs it against are
two completely different things. One has to do with the gcc
configuration and the other with the run-time linker configuration. You
can deliberately choose to run a curl with a different library version at
run-time, which is essentially what the system is doing on your behalf.
If you want to run your curl against a specific libcurl at run-time, you
can either configure the run-time linker to do that at run-time
(LD_LIBRARY_PATH or /etc/ld.so.conf), configure the run-time linker at
compile time (-rpath), put the libcurl.so.4 file where the run-time
linker will use it by default (e.g. into /usr/lib), or statically link
it.

>>> Dan