Re: HTTP Pipelining Contributions

From: Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen_at_fabiankeil.de>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 13:49:45 +0200

George Rizkalla <grizkalla_at_rim.com> wrote:

> On 7/26/12 6:13 AM, Fabian Keil wrote:
>
> >Or apply the standard host blacklist to the proxy as well (unless that's
> >already what you are referring to). Do you see any advantages in having
> >two
> >separate blacklists?
>
> I don't feel too strongly about either option :).

Me neither, I was just wondering if I was overlooking a use case.

> It seems like we might get some minor performance benefits out of two
> lists. Presuming that the proxy blacklist would be smaller (which seems
> like a reasonable assumption), we may end up shortcutting the longer list
> in the case that we are using a known, faulty proxy.

The application could simply add the blacklisted proxies at the
beginning of the list, though, in which case the rest of the list
could be skipped as well.

> In the case that a
> proxy is not being used, we would potentially be parsing through a shorter
> standard host list...
>
> That said, I'm not sure how long these blacklists would typically get, so
> it might not be worth the added interface complexity. What do you think?

If the theoretical performance gain is the only thing you get
by using two lists it doesn't seem worth the added complexity
to me.

Fabian