Option to specify the type of IP address for TCP connect

From: Bin Wang <binziwang_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 16:48:37 -0700

Hi Daniel and all,

When establishing a TCP connection, libcurl tries all the IP addresses,
including both IPv4 and IP6 ones, until a TCP connection is successfully
established or all the IP addresses are failed. libcurl already provides
the option for specifying the type of IP address to resolve the destination
host name. I was wondering if it makes sense to provide another option to
specify the type of IP address used for TCP connect. Then when a
destination host name is resolved to "whatever" IP address, I have the
flexibility to connect using one type of the address or both types, and I
am able to do thing like giving different connect timeout to different type
of IP address.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Bin