Re: curl_multi_fdset not returns fdset when easy handle is in resolving state (when using threaded resolver)

From: Arunprasad Rajkumar <ararunprasad_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 14:15:39 +0530

Suppose If I use c-ares, I need to take care of setting dns address in
case of change via DHCP or c-ares re-reads /etc/resolv.conf every name
resolving?

>> There's no technical reason why not. There's a slight problem to use a
pipe
>> on Windows since it would have to be a real socket for it to work with
>> select(), but it could A) be made differently on different platform or B)
>> use a UDP socket as you mentioned.

> I thought calling gethostbyname don' t return associated socket. That was
> the technical reason right?

Right, that's the technical reason why we can't expose the actual *real*
socket to the appliction. We could however create a new one and use solely
for
the purpose of letting the other end know when the name resolving is
complete
so we would send something on it when the gethostbyname() function has
completed.

> Is it possible to use ares on windows? how mature is this?

c-ares does indeed work on windows but I think it isn't that commonly used
in
libcurl on windows. c-ares is very mature but you need to realize that it
isn't a complete gethostbyname() replacement.

--
*Arunprasad Rajkumar*
http://in.linkedin.com/in/ararunprasad