Re: Array Index size_t vs int

From: Marc Hoersken <info_at_marc-hoersken.de>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 15:26:26 +0200

Hi Daniel,

2012/9/17 Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
> Let me just remind everyone that we compile libcurl on MANY different and
> even ancient systems so we cannot even always rely on proper POSIX
> compliance (which unfortunately also includes Windows). Hence there may be
> some funny actions to minimize warnings on stupid old legacy unixes. Our
> autobuilds show some of them.

I don't understand the relation to this specific problem. Since
(s)size_t is used through the whole source code anyway, why shouldn't
it be used to access arrays, too? Is there a specific problem with
non-POSIX systems and (s)size_t? Of course there will still be "funny
actions" or use of the "warnless" functionality.

> If you think you can fix actual warnings or errors by doing such changes
> then I think doing them is good. Doing them only for correctness I think
> isn't worth it but instead risks us introducing new side-effects.

How can I test for those side-effects? Are there any known or
documents restrictions on the proposed changes?

> Really? It works fine for me now in both Chrome and Firefox...

Yes. It works sometimes, but right now it shows up empty. Please see
the attached screenshot.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Marc