Re: RFE: SNI and HTTP Host Header

From: Oscar Koeroo <okoeroo_at_nikhef.nl>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 11:01:05 +0100

On 10-11-12 20:45, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
> My crawler use curl as the basis for the requests, and as I connect
> using the hostname found in server-discovery, whereby I need it to be
> valid for the purpose of a DNS Round Robin, it use the HTTP Host:
> header matching the keyserver pool. The issue with vanilla curl, is
> however, that there is no way to manually set the SNI hostname to use,
> and it will default to the hostname of the request.

Would a separate option not be more useful for explicit testing the SNI on
a service which can state the hostname to be pushed via the TLS handshake?

> As such I have created a (very) crude patch that will use the Host
> header presented instead. Based on a patch I found in the curl mailing
> list archives[0, 1] and rebased it to the current 7.2x version (lastly
> applied to 7.28).

I had the impression the conn->host.name was used to set the "Host:"
header. And in the patch I read that the "Host:" is dug up and set as the
to-be-used SNI value where first the conn->host.name was used.

Could you tell or point me how this interaction works? I'm confused
because I thought it was the same string :-)