Re: HTTPS CURL get slow when calling at first time

From: Gokhan Sengun <gokhansengun_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 22:49:15 +0200

> I am using a CURL version 7.27.0 and passing the url using HTTPS
>> but the first call to the curl_easy_perform(curl) is very very slow, but
>> all subsequent calls are fast the problem seems to be anything to be
>> initialization of CURL handle or seems need to connect to socket and wait
>> to open an interface.
>>

> If I were to guess, I'd say that the problem is most likely a weird and
> slow network setup, firewall or NAT in your network environment.
>
> If you want more than blind guesses, you need to provide more data and
> logs.

+1.

This interesting issue deserves better data for libcurl community to
diagnose. First of all, what is "very very slow"? Is it 1 msec or 1 sec? Do
you have any wireshark capture (possibly with annotations)? Do you have
timestamped strace output? Etc. Please elaborate.

Before delving into the wild details, as per Daniel's guess, you may want
to check misbehaving network element or remote party. If you have a chance
to carry a controlled experiment on the outside world, please consider it
too.