Re: transfer closed with bytes remaining to read Windows 7 issue

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 23:06:34 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 4 Dec 2012, Bill Hoffman wrote:

> Here is a curl binary with the bytes remaining error:
>
> $ ~/workspace/curl-7.28.1-rtmp-ssh2-ssl-sspi-zlib-idn-static-bin-w32/curl -O
> http://vesper.kitwarein.com/test/boost-cmake-1.49.0.tar.bz2
> % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time
> Current
> Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
> 99 44.0M 99 44.0M 0 0 6507k 0 0:00:06 0:00:06 --:--:--
> 0
> curl: (18) transfer closed with 8224 bytes remaining to read

> Any ideas or tips on how to approach debugging this?

I would start at investigating the actual TCP packets when the final parts of
that transfer arrived. Were there any bits/flags sent in any direction that
give any hints on what exactly happened and which side did what?

My initial gut reaction is that this seems like an artifact of something
inside Windows 7, but I don't want to jump to conclusions before we have more
facts...