Issues building with ZLIB and c-ares, Mingw on Win8 x64

From: Jesse Nicholson <ascensionsystems_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 17:35:52 -0500

So I've been trying since yesterday to get curl to build with c-ares and
zlib support... and since I'm about ready to bash my head off the desk till
I pass out... I figured hey! why not ask the good folks on the mailing list
before incurring self inflicted injury!

Anyway so I downloaded latest release c-ares, zlib and curl... compiled
c-ares successfully (although I can only get it to spit out a static lib),
zlib compiled without issue, then on to curl. Curl will compile the static
lib without issue, but as soon as it goes to link together libcurl.dll, I
get a ton of undefined references to c-ares functions. (note that the
linker doesn't complain about not finding -lcares) Example:

"D:\cppsourceandlibs\curl-7.28.1\lib/version.c:312: undefined referenec to
`_imp__ares_version`

Etc. I'm using the Makefile.m32 under CURL_DIR/lib to compile, exact
command is:

"mingw32-make -f Makefile.m32 CFG=-zlib-ares

If anyone can provide ANY insight into what I'm doing wrong or even better
how to do it right, I'd be eternally grateful. Thanks,

--
Jesse Nicholson