Re: Not able to cross-compile curl for ARM uClinux

From: Bernard Evensrud <bevensrud_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 19:52:37 +0100

2012/12/13 Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 02:43:06PM +0100, Bernard Evensrud wrote:
>> I am using a Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit computer, trying to compile libcurl.a
>> for use in a project with embedded uClinux.
>> However, I only get an error message when running .configure with
>> arm-elf-gcc. Compiling a native version using GCC is no problem.
>> Compiling other small projects with arm-elf-gcc also works very well.
>
> *-elf-gcc compilers are generally not set up to build normally
> applications, but rather low-level components like kernels and
> bootloaders. Typically, you want to use a compiler that has the OS
> and/or libc name in place of elf. But if this compiler works for other
> applications, then perhaps that's not the case here.
>
>> This is what happens:
>>
>> bernard_at_bernard-home ~/curl-7.28.1 $ ./preconfig
>> ./configure --disable-shared --disable-ares --disable-cookies
>> --disable-crypto-auth --disable-ipv6 --disable-verbose
>> --without-libidn --without-zlib --disable-ldap --disable-thread
>> --disable-shared --host=arm-elf --build=x86_64 --without-ssl
>> --without-libssh2
>
> I would drop the --build option unless you actually need it.
>
>> checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
>> checking whether to enable debug build options... no
>> checking whether to enable compiler optimizer... (assumed) yes
>> checking whether to enable strict compiler warnings... no
>> checking whether to enable compiler warnings as errors... no
>> checking whether to enable curl debug memory tracking... no
>> checking whether to enable hiding of library internal symbols... yes
>> checking whether to enable c-ares for DNS lookups... no
>> checking for sed... /bin/sed
>> checking for grep... /bin/grep
>> checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
>> checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
>> checking whether build environment is sane... yes
>> checking for gawk... gawk
>> checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
>> checking for arm-elf-strip... arm-elf-strip
>> checking curl version... 7.28.1
>> checking build system type... x86_64-pc-none
>> checking host system type... arm-unknown-elf
>> checking for style of include used by make... GNU
>> checking for arm-elf-gcc... /usr/local/bin/arm-elf-gcc
>> checking for C compiler default output file name...
>> configure: error: in `/home/bernard/curl-7.28.1':
>> configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
>> See `config.log' for more details.
>
> Did you see `config.log' for more details?

have posted the reply incorrectly.
Thank you for your feedback. Yes, I have used this arm-elf-gcc
compiler for all my other projects, but they are only small
applications, smaller than curl.

Also the error, "compiler cannot create executables", I do not
understand. It does not say why it cannot...
I have read trough the config.log. Can I post it here for you to see?

Bernard E,