Re: Compilation problems with automake 1.13

From: Dave Reisner <d_at_falconindy.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 11:57:53 -0500

On Tue, Jan 01, 2013 at 05:25:51PM +0100, Yang Tse wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 31, 2012, Dave Reisner wrote:
>
> > Automake 1.13 made some changes surrounding tracing of the
> > AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR macro. Curl appears to override this macro in
> > m4/curl-override.m4 leading to ./buildconf failing rather strangely:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> I'm going to push attached patch to libcurl's autobuilds in order to
> verify that it doesn't break anything. We support autoconf way back to
> version 2.57.
>
> The intended purpose of this patch is to provide a 'traceable'
> AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR definition only when using an autoconf version
> that does not provide it, instead of what we were doing up to now of
> providing and overriding AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR for all autoconf
> versions.
>
> Could you verify if it modifies or improves the situation also for you?

Hrmmm, this patch has no effect. Digging into aclocal, it seems that
AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR isn't actually an existant macro, and is internally
aliased to AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIRS (plural). I guess this is why your
ifndef is a no-op. Mocking out AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIRS and calling that
in configure.ac works for me. See attached.