Re: Compilation problems with automake 1.13

From: Dave Reisner <d_at_falconindy.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 13:41:22 -0500

On Tue, Jan 01, 2013 at 07:20:45PM +0100, Yang Tse wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 5:57 PM, Dave Reisner <d_at_falconindy.com> wrote:

> >> I'm going to push attached patch to libcurl's autobuilds in order to
> >> verify that it doesn't break anything. We support autoconf way back to
> >> version 2.57.
> >>
> >> The intended purpose of this patch is to provide a 'traceable'
> >> AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR definition only when using an autoconf version
> >> that does not provide it, instead of what we were doing up to now of
> >> providing and overriding AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR for all autoconf
> >> versions.
> >>
> >> Could you verify if it modifies or improves the situation also for you?
> >
> > Hrmmm, this patch has no effect. Digging into aclocal, it seems that
> > AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR isn't actually an existant macro, and is internally
> > aliased to AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIRS (plural). I guess this is why your
> > ifndef is a no-op. Mocking out AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIRS and calling that
> > in configure.ac works for me. See attached.
>
> AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR won't get copied into aclocal.m4 with recent
> automake versions, it will live in autoconf's general.m4 file wich
> automake should have either copied into our single m4 subdirectory or
> already processed and see the definition of AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR.
>
> Using AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIRS (notice the plural) in our configure.ac is
> a most probably a no-way option for libcurl, we are not going to drop
> support for all automake versions prior to 1.13. (We don't need either
> that macro given that we have a single m4 subdirectory, and a single
> instance of AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR in our configure.ac).

Fair enough. Note that we'd be actually dropping support for all
currently released versions of autoconf (not automake). The macro
doesn't exist until autoconf 2.70. Oops.

> I'll look deeper into this, probably tomorrow, anyway. Something might
> not be completely fit on our side, but I'm starting to suspect it
> could be an automake or autoconf issue.

Yeah, I'm still unconvinced of who's at fault here, but I wanted to at
least make curl aware of the problem.

> BTW, have you noticed that an automake 1.13.1 has already been
> released today? Maybe it would be worth trying that one and see if the
> issue persists.

1.13.1 has the same behavior as 1.13. This was just a minor bugfix
release to restore AM_CONFIG_HEADER and AM_PROG_CC_STDC, but provide
deprecation messaging.