Re: [bagder/curl] 13606b: build: make use of 93 lib/*.c renamed files

From: Tor Arntsen <tor_at_spacetec.no>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 12:51:15 +0100

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 12:35 PM, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:

> Further downsides with the renames:
>
> * Patches for older curl versions now suddenly don't apply anymore and will
> give us (and others) much more work to apply. This will not only affect a
> couple of patches that I have pending in the mailing list but also in the
> bug tracker. There's also about a bazillion distros out there with distro
> specific patches that suddenly get version-specific file name changes
> (where the patches could otherwise apply to multiple versions).
>
> * History tracking/git log is much harder and annoying with file renames. So
> while it can be handled, things like the github's history breaks and
> bisecting things will require more work.

I already commented on github on the patch itself, but I want to add
to what Daniel said above - we use Git at work, and although Git
itself tries to support history tracking with renames, it can never
work truly well. What happens in practice is that you suddenly have a
short history (for 'git log' and tons of other commands), and then
you'll have to try combinations of -M and -C and hope that you can get
to the historic info you need. The one thing I have learned to regret
and avoid is massive renames and moves, it only creates grief. And
yes, forget about applying existing patches in a general way.

-Tor

CONFIDENTIALITY
This e-mail and any attachment contain KONGSBERG information which may be
proprietary, confidential or subject to export regulations, and is only meant
for the intended recipient(s). Any disclosure, copying, distribution or use is
prohibited, if not otherwise explicitly agreed with KONGSBERG. If received in
error, please delete it immediately from your system and notify the sender
properly.