Re: configure test for _AIX false positive.

From: John E. Malmberg <wb8tyw_at_qsl.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 08:17:46 -0600

On 1/7/2013 7:24 AM, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jan 2013, John E. Malmberg wrote:
>
>>> Can you figure out why it detects that in the output for your test?
>>
>> Yes, because I have full listings enabled in order to debug the
>> configure and build process. Which means that the compiler lists out
>> even the lines that are not compiled.
>
> Then it isn't really a *false* positive since it was provoked by your
> special treatment, right?

It indicates that the testing method of searching for strings in
compiler listing output does not work for all compiler settings and may
be indicating incorrectly on other platforms besides VMS.

Having the _ALL_SOURCE macro defined does not seem to affect anything in
the VMS build, so if this specific issue is occurring on other
platforms, unless the config.h or other compiler listings are being
closely inspected, it may not be noticed.

> Or what are you suggesting we should do about it?

I suppose that now that the issue is known, I can file a ticket with the
autoconf project and see if they care.

Unfortunately currently autoconf is not known to run on VMS.

Regards,
-John
wb8tyw_at_qsl.net