curl 7.28.1/MakefileBuild.vc bug?

From: Tomáš Zahradnický <zahradt_at_fit.cvut.cz>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 07:39:31 +0100

Hello,

I am trying to build curl into a static library on Windows/Visual Studio 2005 and have discovered a potential bug in MakefileBuild.vc file. I have compiled curl with:

nmake /f Makefile.vc mode=static VC=8 ENABLE_IDN=no ENABLE_WINSSL=no GEN_PDB=no DEBUG=no MACHINE=x86

and expected that this will link to libcmt.lib with the /MT flag. Instead it links to msvcrt80.dll with the /MD flag. I have investigated why and have discovered that line 230 in MakefileBuild.vc reads:

!IF "$(RTLIBCFG)"=="static"

but RTLIBCFG variable is undefined. If I change the line to:

!IF "$(MODE)"=="static"

everything works as expected. If the proposed fix is not right, then the documentation file BUILD.WINDOWS.txt should state how to set the runtime library to link against.

All the best,
Tomas

# Ing. Tomas Zahradnicky, EUR ING, Ph.D.
# Assistant Professor, Deputy Head of Department
# Department of Computer Systems
# Faculty of Information Technology
# The Czech Technical University in Prague