Re: curl 7.28.1/MakefileBuild.vc bug?

From: Pierre Joye <pierre.php_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 09:55:53 +0100

hi,

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 7:39 AM, Tomáą Zahradnický <zahradt_at_fit.cvut.cz> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to build curl into a static library on Windows/Visual Studio 2005 and have discovered a potential bug in MakefileBuild.vc file. I have compiled curl with:
>
> nmake /f Makefile.vc mode=static VC=8 ENABLE_IDN=no ENABLE_WINSSL=no GEN_PDB=no DEBUG=no MACHINE=x86
>
> and expected that this will link to libcmt.lib with the /MT flag. Instead it links to msvcrt80.dll with the /MD flag. I have investigated why and have discovered that line 230 in MakefileBuild.vc reads:
>
> !IF "$(RTLIBCFG)"=="static"
>
> but RTLIBCFG variable is undefined. If I change the line to:
>
> !IF "$(MODE)"=="static"
>
> everything works as expected. If the proposed fix is not right, then the documentation file BUILD.WINDOWS.txt should state how to set the runtime library to link against.

It looks like you found a bug in the doc :) This option should be
added, maybe renamed too to avoid confusions.

However, I do not think we should allow non thread safe crt usage with
curl. Not a big matter as recent versions of the VC does not support
it anymore.

2003 (7.1) was the last version to support it:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2kzt1wy3(v=vs.71).aspx

Cheers,

--
Pierre