RE: POP3 + DISABLE_CRYPTO_AUTH

From: Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 18:39:57 +0000

Hi again,

On Fri, 1 Feb 2013, Steve Holme wrote:

> > After receiveing server's response:

> > curl fails with 'No known SASL authentication mechanisms supported!'
> > message and gives up.
>
> Thank you for you report and suggested patch - it is much appreciated.

Unfortunately I think we need a much heavier approach than this.

For example, if the call to Curl_pp_sendf() was to fail then the fallback
authentication mechanism would also be triggered. This could mean that "AUTH
NTLM" would be attempted, but fails due to a communication error, "APOP user
secret" would then be sent, which in turn would fail as well, finally "LOGIN
user password" which also fail and cause pop3_state_capa_resp() to return
it's failure code which may or may not be different to the result of
pop3_authenticate().

We could potentially test for CURLE_LOGIN_DENIED as well, but I would rather
fix the pop3_authenticate() function to perform the fallback.

> I will also take a look at it properly later along with SMTP and IMAP to
> see if the issue can occur there as well - although their authentication
> routines are slightly different.

The same problem exists in imap as well.

Given this and some rework of both op3_authenticate() and
imap_authenticate() that I had started locally, for some other work I am
currently doing, I will come up with a fix over the weekend and credit you
accordingly ;-)

Cheers again

Steve