Re: [bagder/curl] 0e66d5: vc: remove explicit MSVC6 IDE project file and doc...

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 14:58:42 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 7 Feb 2013, Yang Tse wrote:

>> vc: remove explicit MSVC6 IDE project file and documentation
>>
>> VC6 is _very_ old and we provide working makefiles even for that compiler.
>> Users who build with the IDE never use that method and project file anyway
>> and it was just lingering in the root dir.
>
> Please don't.
>
> File 'vc6curl.dsw' in the top subdirectory isn't a lingering file, it is the
> parent workspace file of the ones present in lib and src subdirectories, all
> are needed in their specific location.

Okay. I grepped around for references to vc6curl.dsw in files but I found
none. I'm listening and if you really think it should be left where it was
then I'll revert. Also, it wouldn't mean that we drop support for building
with that environment.

> Ancianity of VC6 is no reason to drop it. We have build stuff for much more
> ancient systems and I would be equally surprised if they were removed.

This would be in the same spirit I removed the emacs files. They're virtually
unused and only linger there in the root dir year in and year out and aren't
ever used. I don't mind keeping files for ancient build systems but I rather
not have them in the root dir.

> Workspace files for _any_ other MS visual studio can be generated from the
> VC6 ones.

Yes, but no users I ever read comments from do their MSVC development based on
this file. They typically either use makefiles or they just manually import
all the source files into their project.

But okay, if you use it I'll reinstate it.