Re: [bagder/curl] 632e50: msvc: move Makefile.msvc.names into winbuild/

From: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 17:29:40 +0100

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> No, but the name is 'winbuild' and it is windows related. I realize it isn't
> optimal but then neither is having two build systems for Windows (in
> different places) - I *really* would like to see them merge to a single one
> at some point.

Two? :-) Counting quickly...

Makefile.b32
Makefile.dj
Makefile.m32
Makefile.vc6
Makefile.vc8
Makefile.vc9
Makefile.vc10
Makefile.Watcom
vc6 IDE files (capable of being transformed into other 6 visual studio versions)
CMake targetting Win32
configure script cross-compiling Win32 either from linux, cygwin or MSYS.
configure script compiling native with mingw* either from either cygwin or MSYS.
configure script compiling native with visual studio either from
either cygwin or MSYS.
winbuild makefile

That makes for more than 20 possibilities of compiling curl and
libcurl in order to run in in Windows, not counting those who feel
they still need something else and brew their own solution.

I agree it is a hell of possibilities, but each one prefers its own
poison ;-) As a matter of fact the winbuild subdirectory was pushed
onto us due to the PHP guys, at that time, wanting it that way. Anyone
touching winbuild subdirectory should be aware of that.

Not all methods work flawlessly 100% and offer all possibilities, but
neither does any other build system for any other OS target.

> My general idea is to move away files from the root dir into more localized
> and dedicated places in the tree. Also, this file doesn't really change
> much...

Ok, I understand that.

--
-=[Yang]=-