Re: Recent IMAP changes

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 00:11:27 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 9 Mar 2013, Steve Holme wrote:

> By now you will have seen all of the changes in the repository related to
> IMAP - most of this new functionality comes thanks to Jiri.

You guys have really been committing like crazy recently! A while ago I
counted 172 of the 267 commits done since the previous release to concern one
or more email protocols!

> 1) Jiri has provided some tests as part of his work - which I am hoping to
> commit over the next few days. However, all of the IMAP, POP3 and SMTP tests
> are currently numbered 800 to 815 without any protocol segregation. This
> makes it quite difficult for anyone adding tests to say SMTP without first
> going through all 15 tests to establish what is IMAP, POP3 or SMTP related,
> or to see if a test already exists / can be used as the basis for a new test
> harness.

Personally I've not found that to be much of a problem with the existing
tests. As long as the <info> tag specify the protocol properly, runtests.pl
can filter out specific tests/protocols (and so can grep).

But sure, it makes things slightly easier at times.

> In summary, I would like to propose that the tests are numbered as follows:
>
> 800 to 849 - IMAP
> 850 to 899 - POP3
> 900 to 949 - SMTP
>
> I don't think we will make use of 50 tests per email protocol anytime soon
> but I would like to ask if anyone have any issues with me doing this?

I certainly don't mind. I'm happy there are more tests pending! =)