curl_easy_perform() failed: Couldn't connect to server

From: Anil J <anilj.mailing_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 18:29:12 -0400

Hi,

This is my first post on this list, and I am learning the Curl APIs.

I am trying to run the example code (simple.c), where it tries to read from
a website. However, it fails to open with the below error.

curl_easy_perform() failed: Couldn't connect to server

Then I tried to do a wget on the same web site - wget http://gmail.com, but
it also failed with following reason.

--2013-03-14 18:23:58-- http://gmail.com/
Resolving localhost (localhost)... 127.0.0.1
Connecting to localhost (localhost)|127.0.0.1|:8080... failed: Connection
refused.

Question:
1. What is the reason of 'simple.c' program failing.
2. Is there any connection between the two results above? How do I make
this 'simple.c' program work?

/anil.