Re: commit d1effad0524bcb4763e06659b728ba134464608

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 13:03:49 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:

> The following commit will break most distributions buildsystems

I find this a very curious statement. It took over two months to figure out it
broke "most" distro buildsystems? How come there's a whole bunch of RPM
packages out there for 7.29.0 then? Did they all just silently patch or
work-around this problem without telling us?

> and will have to be reverted.
>
> in all rpm based distributions CFLAGS contains macro definitions and all
> autotools based buildsystems work just fine with that.

Can you please be more elaborate and explain what exactly you must set in
CFLAGS, that you cannot set in CPPFLAGS and how that is still kosher configure
use?

And no matter what, reverting is not the correct way forward here methinks.
Changing or removing the AC_MSG_ERROR call introduced in that commit could be
considered though.

Lastly, I'll quote the autoconf manual section 4.8.1 which says:

  "If a compiler option affects only the behavior of the preprocessor (e.g.,
  -Dname), it should be put into CPPFLAGS instead"