Re: Name lookup/DNS resolution mechanism of libcurl

From: Guenter <lists_at_gknw.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2013 16:11:35 +0200

Hi Michael,
On 01.04.2013 15:38, Michael-O wrote:
> I have virtually the same setup and had:
>
> real 24m12.438s
> user 6m53.799s
> sys 5m14.550s
>
> So it that normal on Cygwin or is that related to my slow machine? I
I'd say that is normal for Cygwin and MSYS/MinGW due to the 100000 forks
from all the configure tests which might not perform that well ...

> wonder how this would look like on the same slow machine but with a
> non-Windows OS.
certainly much much faster!

I've just added name lookup and connect info to chkspeed.c:
https://github.com/bagder/curl/blob/master/docs/examples/chkspeed.c
so you can take this for further testing.

Also it is possible to tell curl to output these times, f.e. you can use
a batch like the attached one - gives an output like:

Effective URL : http://testbox/testspeed/file_50M.bin
Bytes downloaded : 52428800 bytes.
Average speed : 108548240,000 bytes/second.
Total time : 0,483 seconds.
Name lookup time : 0,047 seconds.
Connect time : 0,047 seconds.

with this you can also test with the curl builds from our download page:
http://curl.haxx.se/gknw.net/7.29.0/dist-w32/
and check if these might behave other ...

HTH, Gün.