Re: Name lookup/DNS resolution mechanism of libcurl

From: Michael-O <1983-01-06_at_gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 12:18:25 +0200

Hi Günter,

Am 2013-04-02 00:43, schrieb Guenter:
>> I have built now c-ares 1.9.1 with 'mingw32-make -f Makefile.m32' and
>> tried to compile curl against it:
>>
>> 1. Added #define HTTP_ONLY and uncommented #define USE_ARES in
>> config-win32.h
>> 2. Set LIBCARES_PATH=E:\Downloads\c-ares-1.9.1
>> 3. Finally compiled curl with mingw32-make mingw32-winssl-ares
>>
>> But the linking fails with:
> [snip]
>> What now?
> oh! seems that c-ares is build static only while libcurl tries to link
> the dynamic one; I will look into this; probably something wrong with
> the makefiles ....

There seems to be another issue with DNS setup.

In config-win32.h sections

/* Define to enable c-ares asynchronous DNS lookups. */
/*#define USE_ARES 1*/

/* Define to enable threaded asynchronous DNS lookups. */
/*#define USE_THREADS_WIN32 1*/

remained as-is but still async DNS lookups are enabled. I presumed that
synchronous would run.

In Makefile.m32
ifeq ($(findstring -dyn,$(CFG)),-dyn)
DYN = 1
endif

DYN is never used again. Seems to be a dead-end.

Michael