Re: Make DNS requests follow the CURLOPT_INTERFACE if c-ares is in use

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 07:58:06 +0200

On Sun, Apr 07, 2013 at 08:59:00PM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
> On 04/07/2013 07:30 PM, Kim Vandry wrote:
> >It's yet one more option option that you have to remember to set though, so in this case I think it would be a good idea if the c-ares interface would default
> >to the same as the curl interface. That way, in the typical case where you want them to be the same, you only have to set one option.
>
> I'm fine with it defaulting to that..but then we'd need some way to tell it to not bind c-ares,
> maybe just configure c-ares to bind to 0.0.0.0 and dev "" or something like that...

I'm not so sure defaulting to this is the desired behaviour. After all, the
default behaviour for the last 10 years has been the opposite, and I don't
recall anyone complaining until now. Changing the default would also break
backward compatibility in a big way. For example, what happens on all those
systems running a local caching nameserver on 127.0.0.1?

>>> Dan