Re: curl mingw compile and shared v/s static libraries?

From: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 04:56:12 +0200

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013, Ben Greear <greearb_at_candelatech.com> wrote:

> I updated to the latest curl recently and now my mingw build
> is different.
> [...]
> Now, it does not. I notice that it appears to only be able to do
> shared OR static libraries...I am pretty sure it used to do both.
>
> Is this on purpose?

If when you mention "mingw build" you are using Makefile.m32 files,
I'm not sure what has changed there lately.

If when you mention "mingw build" you are running configure script and
using mingw compiler, then yes, the change is on purpose. libtool and
automake can not handle separate different compiler or preprocessor
flags when building or using shared and static libraries. As a result
of this we were mis-compiling and mis-using the static library
version, although this wasn't obvious given that automake generated
makefiles silence static build output when also building shared
library.

HTH

--
-=[Yang]=-