Re: SFTP transcript

From: Sam Deane <sam_at_elegantchaos.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 19:40:24 +0100

On 10 Apr 2013, at 17:17, Nick Zitzmann <nick_at_chronosnet.com> wrote:

> SFTP is a binary protocol, FTP is a text protocol. So you can't really get a readable "transcript" of SFTP unless you print a human-readable description of what's going on. And glancing at the code, it looks like libcurl is doing this for a few commands but not all of them. If you'd like to implement this for more commands, be our guest. The code is in lib/ssh.c.

Ah yeah, I guess that makes sense. I was fooled by the existence of the quote commands (chmod/rm/etc) into thinking of it as essentially still a text based protocol, just tunnelled over ssh. If that's not the case, then I can see the problem :)

I'm up for adding the human-readable stuff, but I'll have to have a chat with the guys I'm working with and see if they want me to do it.

Cheers.

- Sam -

sam deane / @samdeane | elegantchaos.com / @elegantchaoscom | mac and ios software development