Re: DNS-based cluster awareness for connection pools and pipelines

From: Patrik Fältström <paf_at_frobbit.se>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 21:07:51 +0800

On 12 apr 2013, at 19:22, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:

> SRV record support has been discussed before but hasn't ever been implemented by anyone. I think it would be an intersting addition.
>
> But SRV records will only help us connect to a particular address. Once connected libcurl prefers keeping connected to the same host and re-using that for all further requests as far as possible. Your talk of "load balancing" make me suspect that you may have other ideas than that, or what you would load balance between exactly?

I must admit I was one of the persons talking with Daniel about SRV and URI records, and the reason why I subscribed to this list. I have though not had time to do anything.

I have spent maybe a day or so looking through the code, and as you say Daniel the "selection algorithm" is probably where the SRV/URI code should go. It was (for me the first time I looked at the code) not trivial though to understand where to place the hooks...as the code itself is kind of "interesting" when it handles referrals.

So, Daniel, mea culpa.

   Patrik