RE: Proposed changes to SSL comparison documentation

From: Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 11:39:32 +0100

Hi Nick,

On Sun, 5 May 2013, Nick Zitzmann wrote:

> > * Would it be better to state *nix rather than Unix in the platform
list?

> What about "POSIX"? That is a group that would include GNU, BSD, and Unix.

Yes - that works for me ;-)

> > * Rather than stating "Not present in older versions of OpenSSL" do
> > you know the required version of OpenSSL for TLS SRP?
>
> SRP was added in 1.0.1. But a lot of computers are still running older
> versions of OpenSSL for various reasons; Apple, for example, ships
> Mountain Lion with 0.9.8 and I doubt they will upgrade it in the next
> cat. So I'd rather not keep peoples' hopes up.

I understand about not getting peoples' hopes up but personally but I'd
rather know which version I need in order to support TLS SRP, TLSv1.1 and
TLSv1 in OpenSSL.

Already I've learnt something from your reply as I'm running v1.0.0 myself
and as such I'm not supporting these newer features :(

Additionally it also allows me to make the discussion to either compile
OpenSSL and libcurl myself or take the version that was distributed with my
OS ;-)

> Here's an updated version.

It also might be a good idea to move the two TLS features from the top of
the table to underneath TLSv1.2 - I appreciate that this is the order on the
original comparison but it might flow better to have these TLS related
features after some of the other TLS features ;-)

Additionally in trying to find out some of the missing information I found
the following article for QsoSSL:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/ibmi/library/i-system-ssl-ibmi/index.html
?cmp=101AR&ampct=101AR12W&ampcr=stgsocial&ampcsr=power&ampcm=h&ampccy=us&amp
cpb=stg&ampS_TACT=101AR12W&ampsf10576993=1

I don't know what code changes are needed to support these features (as I'm
not an IBM i programmer) but the article indicates that TLSv1.2 is supported
with the release of IBM i 7.1 TR6 (with SI48659 applied) so I think we
should include them in the comparison chart.

Kind Regards

Steve