Re: Building libcurl on OpenVMS Alpha and Itanium

From: John E. Malmberg <wb8tyw_at_qsl.net>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 11:02:56 -0500

[Previous reply did not seem to make it to the list. I assume it is in
a moderator hold, and the moderator can discard it in favor of this reply]

On 5/25/2013 11:36 AM, Brad Coish wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Thanks for the response. We recently switched to a cluster system and the
> DSA0 is a logical we have set up to help transition our procedures so
> everything doesn't break all at once. :-)
>
> show log dsa0
> "DSA0" = "$1$DKC0:" (LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE)

You are apparently missing the /translation=concealed which is needed to
better simulate the disk change.

I would strongly recommend that in the transition you change all public
physical disk device use to be concealed rooted logicals so that you
will not need to ever go through such a transition again.

On the VMS systems that I managed, I never allowed users or applications
to use physical device names. This allows changing the physical
hardware with out notifying the users or updating the device
configuration files.

> I will take another look, specifically for environmental issues, since the
> procedure it self worked for you.
> The location of the source tree shouldn't be problem, right? I.e. I
> unzipped the archive into my personal work directory; should I have
> unzipped it into another directory?

The location of the source tree should not matter for the DCL build.

I generally test with concealed rooted logical names and a search list
so that I can set the source directories to be read-only and the results
of the build procedure to go in their own directory tree.

The GNV based build requires logical name search lists and concealed
rooted devices. When the GNV based curl build procedures are
incorporated into the curl source they will require Bash 4.2.45, which
is currently being tested for a release on VMS. Bash 4.2.39 can be
used, but you have to workaround a bug.

I have also noticed that my tests were with 7.30.0-20130321 which may be
a daily build before the official 7.30.0 kit.

bash-4.2$ ../../src/curl --version
curl 7.30.0-20130321 (alpha-dec-vms) libcurl/7.30.0-20130321
OpenSSL/0.9.8w zlib/1.2.7
Protocols: dict file ftp ftps gopher http https imap imaps ldap ldaps
pop3 pop3s rtsp smtp smtps telnet tftp
Features: GSS-Negotiate IPv6 Largefile NTLM SSL libz

Regards,
-John
wb8tyw_at_qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only