Regarding Usage of Custom Application Layer in Internet Protocol Suite

From: PRAKHAR gaur <prakhar_aaidu16_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 16:53:29 +0530

Hello,
I am using libcurl for a client which uses two way SSL authentication.curl_easy_send/recv().The server is also a custom implementation.
Now as we want to send and receive only json, without a restful API, hence it does not make sense to use HTTP protocol.Hence now the message consists of:first 4 bytes are message length, followed by the json.
When CURLOPT_URL is set to, "https://localhost:7443"the communication goes fine.
If there is no protocol specified or "http" etc, eg,"localhost:7443" or "http://localhost:7443"
the communication fails with error,"Failed to get recent socket"
Now from what I understand about Application protocol, using "https" in the url should not have any extra overhead,it is used only because libcurl wants a protocol to be specified and since this is SSL layer hence https.Since the client is not sending HTTP headers and the Server is not expecting any, so for all intents and purpose
the current connection is essentially a SSL over TCP/IP.
My manager thinks that using libcurl with "https" will have a overhead and has asked the code to be rewritten using openSSL.
Given the client side has to run as a monitoring agent, hence I would like the computational and network overhead to be a minimum.
Please comment.
Regards,--Prakhar Gaur