RE: Strange performance discrepancy with proxy

From: Yehezkel Horowitz <horowity_at_checkpoint.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 11:14:32 +0000

Answer to a little bit old question...

> I'm seeing strange behavior where requests are _much_ faster when routed
through a proxy (in this case the Fiddler diagnostic tool). Note that this is
not a caching proxy, and all the requests are POSTs anyway, so I don't think
that is the explanation. If I run the app with an HTTP_PROXY environment
variable defined it is much faster than without - the code is the same in both
cases. I've instrumented the code as well to display the progression of
requests, and it appears to be the same in both cases except the proxied
requests return much faster.

> I'd love to have the same performance regardless of whether or not a proxy is
used, so is there something I'm potentially missing that might speed up the
non- proxied case as well?

Note that Fiddler is re-using old connections, so this might be an explanation for the speed-up.
You can see (by using curl debug function) if when using direct connection - each request creates its own connection or there is connection re-use.

Just my 2 cents.

Yehezkel