Re: strdup

From: Ryan <meokid2_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 21:18:31 +0800

On Jul 12, 2013, at 6:47 PM, Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Attached (completely untested) patch should fix the issue. At least,
>>> as long as libcurl isn't built as a shared library with symbol hiding
>>> enabled.
>>
>> Yeah, don't you think it would be a good idea to test the patch first before anyone does anything?
>
> Patrick is one of the only few around here who seem to have a platform
> which lacks strdup. So he is the appropriate one to test the patch in
> order to verify if it works for him.
>
>> The code could cause problems for all we know.
>
> You should also test the patch and report back it it triggers any real
> problem for you.
>
> But, given your comment above, it is clear to me that you have not
> bothered reading the patch. Otherwise you would not be saying what you
> are saying.

You're right, I did not initially read the patch. But, seeing as my comment was not directed at patch's contents and rather at the fact that it was untested, I feel my reaction was reasonable. I am a software developer, and if someone submitted a patch to one of my libraries without testing it first, I'd be a little cautious.

Upon further examination, I see that the patch is quite trivial and not worth any fuss. But to an initial observer, saying you're submitting an untested patch sounds a bit sketchy to me. You obviously have a different opinion.