Re: strdup

From: Tor Arntsen <kspt.tor_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 17:34:41 +0200

On 12 July 2013 15:18, Ryan <meokid2_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Upon further examination, I see that the patch is quite trivial and not worth any fuss. But to an initial observer, saying you're submitting an untested patch sounds a bit sketchy to me. You obviously have a different opinion.

I hope you realize that the alternative would have been no patch?
Patrick maintains target platforms that the other developers on this
list don't have access to. So the alternative to provide an untested
patch would be to not provide anything.
This is a list where developers interchange patches forth and back and
we keep massaging them until they're good. This is how it works, not
only on this list (you should try to check out the Git mailing list,
for example. Every idea is typically followed by a tentative patch to
start the discussion going. Sometimes dozens a day). Presenting a
patch on this list is not the same as posting a fix to play.google.com
or windows update: It's not an end-user patch. Obviously if posting a
patch to the library with the intent of fixing a bug observed by
oneself you'll try to make it as good as possible from the start. In
this case Yang helped to fix a problem in the test framework, not the
library (important difference), by providing a patch showing the way.
Not necessarily the final, best version, but where it should be
heading (i.e. use curlx_strdup()).

-Tor