Re: "make distclean" broken?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 21:10:17 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 16 Jul 2013, Dave Reisner wrote:

> Option three) fix Curl's automake setup, preferably moving to a
> non-recursive build. I find that with every new release of AM, we're
> cleaning up curl to make sure we don't fall off the trailing edge of
> support.

I agree, but then the automake people (somewhat surprisingly actually) don't
seem to care much for our use case: we want to support building the files with
old AND new automake versions simultaneously and we want everything to work on
a wide range of old and new systems. Historically we've seen how automake
upgrades have broken our builds on older Solaris boxes and we keep seeing how
upgrades break our build for either the new automake - and if we try to follow
their documented guidelines of how to upgrade nicely, suddenly builds with old
automake installations break.

We want support for old automake versions to be even more portable but
primarily to make sure the autobuild systems don't get into problems when some
of the oldish systems for which there are problems to upgrade automake build
and test curl for us.

Unfortunately I haven't put enough energy into feeding back this information
to the automake project so I will admit that I don't have the rights to
complain very loudly.