Re: libcurl 7.29.0 --with-darwinssl built on OXS 10.8 to run on 10.6

From: Nick Zitzmann <nick_at_chronosnet.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 14:43:36 -0600

On Jul 30, 2013, at 2:27 PM, Arun Victor <AVictor_at_flexerasoftware.com> wrote:

> My apologies for leaving the confidentiality notice in there. Will keep that in mind for future posts so it doesn't become a hindrance.
>
> This response does not have the notice and I've removed it from the response text below.
>
> Nick, looking forward to your reply.

Thanks. I don't know about the rest of you, but they do annoy me sometimes on mailing lists…

Anyway, what's happening is, in Mountain Lion, Apple revamped a lot of the Security framework API, and deprecated the old API. So functions like SSLSetProtocolVersionMin() etc. are only present in Mountain Lion and later.

If you need to support versions of the OS prior to Mountain Lion, what you need to do is, prior to running the configure script and then building, set the shell environmental variable MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET to 10.5 or 10.6 or 10.7. It needs to be the environmental variable; for some reason, it gets ignored if you try to set it as a build setting.

To do that in Bash: export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET="10.6"
Or in Tcsh: setenv MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET 10.6
(If you don't know which shell you're using, then you're most likely using Bash unless your user account is over ten years old.)

Then the code is written in a way that, if the new API is not present on the user's computer, then the old API will be used instead. You do not need to weak-link to the Security framework; that kind of weak-linking is intended for situations where the framework itself may not be present on the user's computer.

You can also try building on 10.6, but I don't recommend it, because then the new API won't be used at all. The old API will be removed by Apple in some future release, and besides, the old API does not support TLS 1.1 or 1.2, so the transport security is not as good.

Nick Zitzmann
<http://www.chronosnet.com/>